Associate professor ARNE HODALIČ
Born 10.07.1955 in Ljubljana. Living in Ljubljana (from 1989-94 living in Lausanne – CH). In 1980 finished the University for Natural Science in Ljubljana as ‘Professor of Biology.’
- working for five years as professional sailing boat skipper and CMAS*** special diver, Advanced Nitrox, Technical Trimix diver IANTD, Cave Diver IANTD, Rebreather diver -Level 2SCR
- Underwater photographer specialized in cave diving
- In 1987 founder member of BRUT film – center of freelance audio, video and film artists.
- From 1988 full time free-lance photojournalist for different magazines worldwide and from 1991 recognized as Professional free-lance journalist – member of IFJ /International Federation of Journalists
- From 1989-91 various field projects such as Great Civilization Rivers: Ganges-Nile-Sepik
- From 2006 photo editor of National Geographic Magazine (Slovene edition)
- From 2006 guest lecturer for photography at FDV /Faculty of Social Sciences) / University of Ljubljana
- From 2008 honorary doctorate at Academy for Arts and Design / University of Ljubljana
- From 2009 assistant professor for photography and photojournalism at VIST (Visoka šola za storitve) in Ljubljana
Working in Paris/France:
- from 1991-93 “GAMMA Press agency”
- from 1993-95 for “GLMR International Press agency”
- from 1995-04 for “SAOLA” press agency and EXPLORER agency
- from 1997 on for “NAVALON” photo agency
- from 1997 on for “CORBIS” photo agency (Microsoft)
- from 1993-1995 guest lecturer for photojournalism on Parsons school of design and photography / Paris branch.
- In 1994 during the war in Bosnia organizing a tour of “Les clowns sans frontieres” to Mostar and refugee camps in ex Yugoslavia which resulted many important international publications (Liberation,…)
- In 1995 during the war in Bosnia a photo-assignment covering the alternative rock&roll and culture movements under the Serbian siege of Sarajevo.
- From 1996 official photographer of Sector Sport Watches – No Limits Team for extreme achievements of underwater athletes – photo coverage of world records in cave diving and apnea diving.
- In 2001 and 2006 covering Palestinian intifada in Gaza.
- From 2002 on photojournalist for ITF demining projects: Kosovo&Albania all-woman demining team, underwater demining training in Montenegro, trained dogs and machine demining in Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia.
- In 2005 working for ICRC (International Committee for the Red Cross) on assignment for photo coverage of the Pakistan earthquake.
- In 2009 covering the demining activities in DR Congo /UN assignment
- In 1988 photo coverage about navigating in a canoe on Ganges river in India
- In 1989 crossing the Sudan desert from Khartoum /Sudan/ to Egypt on the Nile river in a small boat
- In 1989 crossing the Papua New Guinea in a dug-out canoe /1500 km/
- In 1997 the photographer for caving expedition in Hunan /China/ and in Tawi Atayr /Oman/
- In 1999-2001 official photographer for 8months on the boat La Boudeuse for the L’Esprit de Bougainville expedition /Two and half years scientific exploration and sailing in South East Asia/
- In winter 2002 diving under ice at Sakhalin (Sea of Okhotsk)
- In 2003 climbing expedition with Tomaz Humar to Nanga Parbat (80125m) in Pakistan / Himalaya
Other photographic assignments in:
- Europe (all the major European countries)
- Russia (Siberia and far East)
- United States (Southwest, East, North,)
- South America (Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Bolivia, Paraguay, Cuba, Peru, Mexico, Galapagos)
- Africa (Egypt, Sudan, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Madagascar, Ethiopia)
- Asia (Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, , Gaza-Palestine, Dubai, Israel, Iraq, Thailand, India, Turkey, Philippines, Indonesia, Bali, Papua New Guinea, Oman, Nepal, Cambodia, Vietnam, Bangladesh)
- Australia (South Australia)
Publications in the following magazines:
National Geographic Magazine (USA and 27 different national editions), National Geographic Traveler magazine, Figaro Magazine, GEO (Germany, France, Brazil, Spain editions) Paris Match, Marie Claire, (including 7 international editions), VSD, Die Zeit, Cosmopolitan, Stern, Liberation, Life (USA), Grands Reportages, Cousteau Junior, Gala, Animan, Airone, Espresso, L’Illustré, Oggi, Sette-Corriere della Sera, Gioa, The Earth Magazine, Nature, UWF, Mer et Océans, Océans, Apnéa, Yachting, Tauchen, Unterwasser, Plongeurs International, Historia, Abenteuer Natur, No Limits, Photo Image, Here, Hola, Hello Magazine, Altair, Wins-Japan, Quo, Mail on Sunday, Das Tier, TI Magazin, Geografica Universal, Weekend Express, Blanco y Negro, Al Wasat, Saudi, and many others
- “Proteus – The Mysterious Ruler of the Karst Darkness” (1993)
- “The Illustrated World’s Religions” co-photographer (1994) Huston Smith Publishers
- “Saints- The Chosen Few” co-photographer (1994) Labyrinth Press Publishers
- “The Forests Between Land and Sea” co-photographer book on ecology and protection of Mangrove forests (1996) Tropical Press Publishers
- 3 books L’Odyssée de La Boudeuse (Au-dessus des volcans, Les Mysteres de Sungai Bai, Les 33 Sakudei) JC Lattès Publishers
- Arne Hodalic (photography from 1988-2000) coffee table book, publisher: Didakta, 2001
- Fotografski priročnk (Manual for Photographers), Publisher: ReproMS, 2012
- “Visitors to the dark” a documentary about Proteus anguinus a strange cave animal (eight major awards on international documentary film festivals)
- Venus in Varshaw 1985
- Nikon Live gallery Zürich 1992
- “Demining the DR Congo” UN main building in New York/USA, 2009
- “Demining the DR Congo, Mine Action and Beyond“ UN building in Geneva/Switzerland, 2011
- Evening screening in “Visa pour l’Image” in Perpignan 2010,
- 12 Star Gallery at European House in London “Piran Salt Pans” 2014
- Cankarjev Dom, Ljubljanski Grad in Ljubljana and many more in Slovenia